Saturday, August 28, 2010

CREATE A PERSONAL SPACE - THE SIZE OF THE PRESIDENTAL PALACE - AND SPEND A NIGHT THERE




Place: Outside Galleria Augusta, Suomenlinna
Happening: New Art Contact, performance evening
Time: 8 pm 28.08.2010 - 8 am 29.08.2010

The setting up of the space evoked less problems than I had thought. As Suomenlinna is an island, there was wind, but the rain that was promised for the evening didnt appear. The exercise the audience saw was a repetitive exercise of hammering the sticks into the ground, putting a "police-band" with Exercise of Freedom #25 written on it and setting up the tent.

During the night the heavy rain came and while I heard the thunders I was for a moment afraid that the lightning would hit my president palace, since it was in the middle of a big field. At 7:36 a car drove into the grass field and a security person opened up my tent zipper. He said that it is strictly not alowed to camp here as this is a protected area. I told him that I was doing an exercise of freedom and that it was part of an art happening. I was lucky to meet a nice guard who said that since it is in the name of art, it is ok for this time. I was not fined for having as much space as the president for a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment